St. Theresa of the Child Jesus School was founded in 1926 by Fr. James O'Brien, the rector of the St. Catherine of Genoa Church. The school was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph who taught students from the surrounding Somerville community. In 1953, Monsignor John Mahoney renamed the school St. Catherine of Genoa School to promote a closer relationship with the parish. In 2019, when the parishes of St. Ann, St. Catherine of Genoa, and St. Joseph combined into the Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin parish, the school returned to its original name of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus School. St Theresa was the daughter of Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin and therefore it was fitting for the school to return to its formal name to align with the renaming of the newly realigned parish.
Today St Theresa of the Child Jesus School is a dynamic school community that meets the intellectual, emotional, physical and spiritual needs of students. We are lay staffed by experienced educators who understand the needs and abilities of their students and work to ensure that each student reaches their God given potential. Our diverse mix of students are from Somerville, Medford, Cambridge, Everett, Arlington and other surrounding communities. Many of our students matriculate to competitive area Catholic and independant secondary schools where they enroll in Honors and Advanced Placement classes.