Mission Statement St. Theresa of the Child Jesus School builds a strong foundation of academic excellence while embracing the Catholic faith, respecting diversity and fostering community. Our History St. Theresa of the Child Jesus School was founded in 1926 by Fr. James O'Brien, the rector of the St. Catherine of Genoa Church. The school, originally staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph, taught students from the surrounding Somerville community. In 1953, Msgr. John Mahoney renamed the school St. Catherine of Genoa School to promote a closer relationship with the parish. In 2019, the Somerville parishes of St. Ann, St. Catherine of Genoa, and St. Joseph combined into the Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin parish, with the school returning to its roots as St. Theresa of the Child Jesus School. St Theresa is the daughter of Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin and so a return to the school’s original name was befitting of the newly realigned parish and its historic mission. Today St. Theresa of the Child Jesus School is a dynamic school community that meets the intellectual, emotional, physical and spiritual needs of its students. Staffed by experienced educators who understand the needs and abilities of their students, we ensure that each student reaches their God given potential. The students of St. Theresa’s today are from Somerville, Medford, Cambridge, Everett, Arlington and other surrounding communities. Many of our students matriculate to competitive, well-known area Catholic and independent schools.